Thursday, July 28, 2016

Eye Primer: Rimmel Vs Makeup Revolution

We can all agree eye shadow is a huge craze right now.


Thinking back to a couple of years ago eye shadow was not something you'd wear daily and makeup was definitely not as big as it is now, since the rise of "freelance makeup artists".

I believe anyone who says they aren't good at makeup can simply teach themselves to be better, through watching youtube videos and sampling the best products for themselves.



I for one would never pay someone to do my make-up as I believe I've got the hack for it myself and I enjoy investing in high-end products to test out on my own skin.

Call me selfish but honestly there is nothing more I love than spending time getting ready using products that I've bought myself as a treat.

So there is no chance of me becoming a freelance makeup artist any time soon but if it's making you money then why not do it?

Makeup is literally taking over lives. 

Back to the eyeshadow, there is nothing worse than loose pigments when applying your shadow, which is where we use cellotape or anything similar to keep us from having under eye drama.


But the most annoying thing after spending ageeessssss getting the perfect smokey eye, is it not lasting all day.

Which is where this post comes into play.

I tested two eye primers, both drugstore, to see how they compare.

In the first corner we have Rimmel London with their Exaggerate Undercover Shadow Primer. Retailed at £4.99 @ Boots.


And in the second corner we have Makeup Revolution with their Aqua Seal Liquid Eye Primer. Retailed at £3.00 @ Superdrug.



First I tested out the Rimmel London primer. I prefer the applicator to the Makeup Revolution one, however with the M.R being liquid it does have to be more of a droplet applicator in order for it to work properly.

The Rimmel Primer isn't sticky at all and is very easy to apply with the soft tipped applicator. Drying takes an immensely long time, so I gave up after about 5 minutes and proceeded with my eye shadow. Not sure if this was a good move.

For M.R with the applicator being in droplet form, its basically like putting eye drops in. Getting this onto your eyelid is not as straight forward as it seems. I dropped a small blob onto my lid which then decided to drip down my face and into my eye, causing irritation and a line in my makeup. However, it did dry super fast but it was very sticky. Maybe that's a good thing though because surely my eye shadow will stay in place better?


The two palettes I used were both from Makeup Revolution. With the Rimmel Primer I used the Salvation palette and with the M.R primer I used the Fortune Favours the Brave palette, which you can see my review of here.


I'm pretty much in love with this beauty brand as they are so affordable and have amazing dupe products. Which is why I had high expectations for the eye primer.

I find myself always putting my makeup on before my eye shadow which is really a makeup no no.

But then I'd have to do my brows first and everything would be backwards. 

The problem I had with both primers was because of me applying my makeup first. The primers had smudged the foundation and powder on my eyes leaving the applicators of both primers slightly nude coloured.

I take the blame for that one.


via GIPHY

However, with the Rimmel primer, after one use I found my eye shadow clumping into the crease of my eye. Not good!!!

It didn't keep my eyeshadow on at all, in fact it took it off quicker than without any primer.

But then I thought oh snap, I didn't let it dry for as long as it should have. 

Take two// 

Okay, no now this time I left the primer to dry a lot longer and I still had shocking results. With the eye shadow clumping in my crease still.

I couldn't bare to take a picture as it was that much of a mess.

For almost five pounds, this product is not worth the waste of eye shadow.



Makeup Revolution on the other hand, after trying it a few times and applying it with a small brush, works wonders. 

It is slightly sticky but like I previously said maybe that's how it's meant to be. 

With this product being cheaper than the Rimmel primer I highly recommend it, even though it is a little bit on the faffy side.

At just £3.00 you can't go wrong at all.

I told you this brand is amazing!



Have you tried any eye primers that you think I should sample?
Have you used Rimmel London or Makeup Revolution?

Tweet me and let me know @L00SE_C


This was the finished look using M.R Primer.









SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Roll Necks & Runways | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig