Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Birds of Paradise: Plumes of feathers in fashion

Today I visited the Bowes Museum to see the Birds of Paradise exhibition as I am currently looking at Birds for my final major project at college. I've never actually visited the Bowes before and wow the building is absolutely amazing, so much bigger in person than in photographs. The exhibition is on the second floor in the Fashion and Textiles gallery. The exhibition addresses aspects such as refinement, luxury, freedom, modernism, femininity, lightness but also themes like lost innocence and black romance.
I will post most of the pictures I have taken today but only write about my favourites as there was that much too look at and don't want to spoil the exhibition if anyone wants to visit. The exhibition starts with one of the most colourful dresses i've ever seen 'Chimera' by Thierry Mugler, A/W 1997/98. The guide told us that the model who actually wore the dress on the catwalk had to be lifted onto the stage in the dress as it was that hard to move in but really it's that amazing I wouldn't be bothered if I could move properly.
The next dress that caught my eye was the one as you walk into the actual gallery, also by Thierry Mugler, S/S 1997. This dress is made from velvet, peacock feathers, rooster feathers, eagle feathers and feathers from birds of paradise. It's name is 'Métamorphose d'une chrysalide en femme papillon', basically just a posh way to describe what the dress is made from but the fancy name suits the fancy dress if I do say so.
This next dress I would actually wear at my wedding, it's outstanding. It is Alexander McQueen by Sarah Burton, S/S 2011. It is a bodice made from goose feathers and the skirt is ostrich feathers. I can't even describe it because my mind just blanks at how amazing it is when i look at it. 
WOW.
There is absolutely loads more to see but as I say I don't want to spoil all the juicy details of the dresses so i'll write about the final dress that I saw. It is Rochas by Olivier Theyskens, A/W 2004/05, it is a silk taffeta dress and nylon gauze, fully covered with treated and dyed rooster feathers. Although there isn't any embroidery, just by looking at the dress you can see all of the detail that has gone into it. I love the ombré!!!!
Here's some more photographs just of close up detail on the dresses, shoes and hats etc. I would absolutely recommend anyone who loves fashion and couture to visit this exhibition. On arrival you collect a book that has all of designers in which states when they were made and with what materials. Definitely something good to keep. Today has definitely inspired me for my college project. 








Thankyou x

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Roll Necks & Runways | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig